Sunday, February 12, 2006

John Harrison Heavyside (Early GPKer)



My Grandfather, John Harrison Heavyside was born in 1882 and hailed
from Barrow-on-Furness, England.
In about 1904, Jim Beck, Tom Beck, Alice Beck, Mary Beck and he
sailed across the Atlantic to Montreal, Canada as all were friends and wanted
to start a new life in a new country. After arriving in Montreal, he
married Mary Beck, so she became Mary Beck Heavyside.
Sometime after that, he built a house on Isabel Street in Greenfield
Park, Canada. The first group of children was born during this period:
Flo Heavyside Board 1906
John Guthridge Heavyside 1908
Wilfred William Heavyside 1910
George Harrison Heavyside 1915
According to my Aunt Edna, my Grandfather was the first from
Greenfield Park to volunteer to fight in World War I.The reason for volunteering
so quickly was because he was an Englishman and wanted to defend his
homeland and, of course, Canada. My Grandfather was a member of the Canadian Black Watch. ( I will scan a photo of him in his uniform.) He fought in the Battle of Ypres.( Once when I was visiting Aunt Edna Heavyside Smith
and Uncle George Jolly Smith who worked for the Canadian Embassy in Paris,
France, we drove to the Ypres and walk in the trenches where my
Grandfather actually fought.) Yes, he was affected by the mustard gas and became a German prisoner of war. For many years, my Grandmother did not even know if he was alive. Through a French-Canadian soldier and friend's wife
who was also in the prisoner camp and was able to get letters to Canada
through a Paris connection, he was able to inform my Grandma that he was alive
and well. There is also an article about him forwarding a message in the
Montreal Star. (My brother, John Albert Heavyside, has a copy of that information.) My Father, Wildred, said my Grandpa could speak a
little German, cook German food, and play the mandolin when he returned from
the war. After the war, the second group of children was born:
Richard Ernest Heavyside 1920
Albert (Bert) Heavyside 1924
Edna Heavyside Smith 1926

My Grandfather's trade was an electrician but was also served as one
of Greenfield Park's first fire and police chief. In 1927, he drove on a
motorcycle with his son Johnny to inform someone in Lemoyne of the
death of a family member and caught a bad cold. It developed into pneumonia due to his weak lungs from the war and he passed away a few days later.

There were many sad and lonely years after the death of my
Grandfather. My Aunt Edna told me that whenever they saw a man climbing up an electric pole, the young children would say, "Dada." Nevertheless, the older
children help to raise the younger children. All became fine and
honorable citizens and remembered the integrity, dedication, and enthusiasm of
their Father, John Harrison Heavyside. My Grandmother continued to live in
her home that Grandpa built on Isabel until her death in 1970.


Thanks Donna Joy Heavyside Westlund

No comments: