Just a warning to all you people out there with wood burning fireplaces and / or wood burning stoves......
HAVE YOUR CHIMNEY SWEPT REGULARLY !
What with all that we have had going on this year we missed our annuall cleaning of our fireplace chimney. As most of you are aware I have a fireplace in my basement office and I have a fire nearly every day.
Well yesterday we paid for this oversite with a chimney fire.
Fortunately no one was hurt and there was no major damage, but the firemen said it was close to erupting into a full blown fire when they arrived. They said the definite cause was the ignition of the creosote in the flue. The really scary part is we didn't even know we were having a fire.
Our neighbor was on his way out when he noticed abnormal BLACK smoke spewing from our chimney and rang the door bell. If he hadn't we may have burned down our place and the 3 adjoining units.
Fortunately the insurance will pay for all the cleanup and repair the damage but we could have just as easily been killed...... I know we will be having ours cleaned a minimum of once a year no matter what is going on.
I hope a word to the wise is sufficient....