Thursday, February 23, 2006

Memories from JoAnn G.




Hi: I just accessed the web site recommended by John McC about Point St. Charles. Surely great pictures! I remember my father talking about growing up in "The Point" and mentioned a street named St. Antoine? (sp??) Is that in The Point? Anyway, my dad's parents migrated to Montreal (Point St. Charles) from Austria when my dad was 8 or 9 yrs. old. According to the story, his mother died in Canada of TB, his father remarried and took his new wife back to Austria. By then my dad was 16 and didn't want to go back, so he stayed in Point St. Charles, worked as a bus boy--then cook--then chef--lived on his own and basically was self-educated. Wow! Life was certainly different in those days. The site brought back lots of conversation memories. Thanks!

Attached is a picture of my dad as a little boy with his mother. I believe this was taken just before they moved to Canada. At a glance it appears this was taken hundreds of years ago:)

JoAnn


Thanks JoAnn for sharing family history

No comments: