Friday, March 03, 2006

Prairie Moments by Doug G.







The view from 3 feet went international at 5000 feet.
Alberta is just North of Montana and not too many hours from the" Big Mountain" ski resort.
During the summer, they open the trails to mountain bikers and what a great experience. You take the chair lift up with your bike hooked on the back and arrive in the clouds at the summit ( 7000 ft) about 15 minutes later.

If it wasn't for the grandkids egging me on, I might have been tempted to take the chair lift back down but I'm really glad I didn't. The trails zig-zag down hill through open and wooded terrain for what was the most spectacular for views and white knuckles I have ever had. I only fell off once and other than denting the casing of my new digital camera when I rolled on it, every thing was fine.

The bike rental also included as many free rides up on the gondola as you wish. I managed two bike trips down before the afternoon was spent. I'm hoping for similar venues on the eastern side of the Rockies in Canada but so far haven't found any.

As I look out the window at the snow on the ground, waiting for it to melt, I realize people actually go down those slopes on skis Whoa, now that's scary. Well, May is only 2 months away.
Catch you later.
Doug g
Thanks Doug
Great Pics

No comments: