Thursday, April 13, 2006

Memories of Montreal




The pictures of old Montreal sure gave me a rush this morning. They are exactly as I remember the end of the line for the Mount Royal Street car as it turned around at Fletcher's Field right at the corner of Park Ave. In the winter, it was a popular ski and tobaggan slope.Down town Montreal.

Before we moved to Greenfield Park in 1948, we lived on Deserables St betweeen Beaubien and Bellechase Streets and attended Rosemount School.

I clearly remember at the age of 11, taking my Toboggan on the street car,that could easily have been the one in the picture with doors at both ends. It cost .05 cents and after going down Delormier Ave., I could transfer to the mount Royal street car and be there in about a half hour.I had a great day by my self and had even thought to bring .15 cents for a hot chocolate which you could get at the street car terminal.

It was a weekday and unknown to me, there was some rule that prohibited toboggans and or skiis to be carried on the trams during rush hour. At 5.00 p.m. when I was ready to come home. the conductor wouldn't let me on. I should have been smart enough to keep trying each tram as it came around, but I wasn't.

The only option I could see, was to walk home. So I followed the Street car line along Mount Royal to Delormier. North up Delormier to Bellechase, then around the corner to my house. I don't know how far that is but It took 3 hours. By the time I got home needless to say, my parents were frantic. I was just looking for some sympathy, but in those days, no one got much of that.

I think I got supper before being sent to bed

The pictures attached are of Ron Darker, Art Jones, myself and a real beautiful young lady whose name and details I have forgotten, all from Greenfiled Park, some years later,having a great time right there..With skiis, you could go up higher than Fletcher's Field and follow the trails up beyond the Street car lines all the way throught the cemetary to the Chateau/ lookout on the South West Side Facing
Thanks for the memories
Doug Garrett


Thanks Doug


No comments: