Friday, November 09, 2007

Mr. Hemingway Returns...

FANCY EATING RESTAURANT HELLO MARSTON, ABOUT 15-17 YEARS BACK I WAS MOWING THE GREEN SCOURGE AT OUR PLACE IN ST.LAMBERTS ON A FRIDAY AFTERNOON. STARTING IN THE FRONT, THEN SIDE LAWN TOOK ABOUT 1/2 AN HOUR. WHILE DOING THE SIDE LAWN I GOT THESE HORRIBLE WAFTS, I CHECKED THE BOTTOMS OF MY BOOTS- NO LAND MINES STEPPED ON, NO DEAD ANIMALS AROUND.



I CONTINUED WITH THE SIDE, THEN HEADED FOR THE BACK YARD. AS I HEADED TOWARDS THE FAR END OF THE GRASS I ALMOST KEELED OVER WITH THE STINK, SOMETHING LIKE THE ROT THAT CAME OUT OF THE OLD HORSE ABATTOIR AT THE END OF CHARRON AND ST GEORGE, V.LEM. THE AIR WAS ALMOST GREEN, BAD ENOUGH TO GAG A MAGGOT. THE STENCH WAS COMING OUT OF AN EXHAUST VENT OF THE FANCY EATING RESTAURANT NORMAND WAS MOANING AND GROANING ABOUT. WELL I HAD TO FIND OUT WHAT WAS ON THE MENU.



THIS PLACE HAD THE DAILY MENU ON A FRONT VERANDA POST, IT WAS HARD TO SEE CLEARLY AS IVY LEAVES OBSTRUCTED IT PARTIALLY. AS I WAS READING THE LIST IN FRENCH, IT TOOK AROUND 2 FT. TO DESCRIBE SOMETHING THAT HAD NO FLIPPERS OR GILLS AND LIVED UNDER A FLAT ROCK, COULD THIS BE THAT WHICH SMELLED SO HORRIFIC. I NEVER GOT TO FIND OUT BECAUSE WHILE STANDING OUT IN THE GUTTER SOMEBODY SAID, "RICHARD WERENCHUK?", "YEP" I SAID "THAT'S ME". THE ONE ASKING SAID "YOU KNOW ME"? I SAID "NO NOT OFFHAND".



WELL IT TURNED OUT TO BE GEORGE VINE & WIFE. AFTER THEY FINISHED CHOWING DOWN THEY CAME OVER TO PORCH AT OUR PLACE, ANOTHER OLD FRIEND, MURRAY O'REGAN SHOWED UP WHO USED TO LIVE ON THIRD, SO WE HAD A BIG PORCHING SESSION GOING ON. AN ARGUMENT GOT STARTED BETWEEN GEORGE AND MURRAY OF ALL THINGS - ABOUT ME, ON WHO KNEW ME THE LONGEST, ME OH MY I NEVER FELT SO SELF IMPORTANT.



RICHARD.........................



Thanks Mr Hemingway

No comments: