Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Another cute Christmas Story

CHRISTMAS ADVENTURE WITH GRANDMA

> I remember my first Christmas adventure with Grandma. I

> was just a kid.> I remember tearing across town on my bike to visit her on

> the day my big sister dropped the bomb: "There is no

> Santa Claus," she jeered. "Even dummies know that!"

> > My Grandma was not the gushy kind, never had been. I fled

> to her that day because I knew she would be straight

> with me. I knew Grandma always told the truth, and I



> knew that the truth always went down a whole lot

> easier when swallowed with one of her "world-famous"

> cinnamon buns. I knew they were world-famous,

> because Grandma said so.> > It had to be true.>

> Grandma was home, and the buns were still warm. Between

> bites, I told her everything.>

> She was ready for me.

> "No Santa Claus?" She snorted... "Ridiculous! Don't > believe it. That rumor has been going around for > years, and it makes me mad, plain mad!! Now, put on > your coat, and let's go."> > "Go? Go where, Grandma?" I asked. I hadn't even finished

> my second world-famous cinnamon bun.>



> "Where" turned out to be Kerby's General Store, the one > store in town that had a little bit of just about > everything. As we walked through its doors, Grandma > handed me ten dollars.>

> That was a bundle in those days. "Take this money," she

> said, "and buy something for someone who needs it. > I'll wait for you in the car. "Then she turned and > walked out of Kerby's.> > I was only eight years old. I'd often gone shopping with > my mother, but never had I shopped for anything all

> by myself.> > The store seemed big and crowded, full of people

> scrambling to finish their Christmas shopping. For a



> few moments I just stood there, confused, clutching > that ten-dollar bill, wondering what to buy, and who > on earth to buy it for. I thought of everybody I knew: my > family, my friends, my neighbors, the kids at > school, and the people who went to my church.> > I was just about thought out, when I suddenly thought of > Bobby Decker. He was a kid with bad breath and messy > hair, and he sat right behind me in Mrs. Pollock's > grade-two class.>

> Bobby Decker didn't have a coat. I knew that because he > never went out to recess during the winter. His > mother always wrote a note, telling the teacher that > he had a cough, but all we kids knew that Bobby Decker > didn't have a cough; he didn't have a good coat. I > fingered the ten-dollar bill with growing > excitement. I would buy Bobby Decker a coat!> > I settled on a red corduroy one that had a hood to it. It > looked real warm, and he would like that.> > "Is this a Christmas present for someone?" the lady behind > the counter asked kindly, as I laid my ten dollars down.> > "Yes, ma'am," I replied shyly. "It's for Bobby."> > The nice lady smiled at me, as I told her about how Bobby

> really needed a good winter coat. I didn't get any > change, but she put the coat in a bag, smiled again, > and wished me a Merry Christmas.> > That evening, Grandma helped me wrap the coat (a little > tag fell out of the coat, and Grandma tucked it in > her Bible) in Christmas paper and ribbons and wrote,



> "To Bobby, From Santa Claus" on it. Grandma said > that Santa always insisted on secrecy. Then she drove me > over to Bobby Decker's house, explaining as we went > that I was now and forever officially, one of > Santa's helpers.> > Grandma parked down the street from Bobby's house, and she > and I crept noiselessly and hid in the bushes by his > front walk.> > Then Grandma gave me a nudge. "All right, Santa Claus," > she whispered, "get going." I took a deep breath,



> dashed for his front door, threw the present down on > his step, pounded his door and flew back to the safety > of the bushes and Grandma.> > Together we waited breathlessly in the darkness for the > front door to open. > Finally it did, and there stood Bobby.> > Fifty years haven't dimmed the thrill of those moments > spent shivering, beside my Grandma, in Bobby > Decker's bushes.> > That night, I realized that those awful rumors about Santa >



Claus were just what Grandma said they were: > ridiculous. Santa was alive and well, and we were on > his team. I still have the Bible, with the coat tag tucked >



inside:$19.95. > May you always have LOVE to share, HEALTH to spare and >

FRIENDS that care . . . And may you always believe >



in the magic of Santa Claus!>



CHEERS!!!
Thanks Barry & Louise D.

No comments: