Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Met in GPK



HI MARTY,

WELL I AM GLAD I RE CLOSED VERY QUICK THE MET THEATRE IN G'PK. THOSE BIG WIDE ROLLS OF FILMS TURNING ARE VERY DANGEROUS IN THE
DARK.OH WELL. THE PIC IS DONALD RUFH IN THE PROJECTING ROOM IN 1953 HIM CHESTER RUFH SR. AND CHESTER JR MAYBE CALLED CARL HAD THE THEATRE IN 1953.

THE THEATRE WAS ONCE OWNED TOO BY A MR. MENARD CAME FROM COATICOOK AND I THINK WHEN HE LEFT HE WENT TO FERME-NEUVE P.Q.HE USE TO LIVE AROUND THE CORNER OF SPRINGFIELD ON CHURCHILL ON THE TOWN HALL SIDE. THE LITTLE MET WAS BUILT CA 1948 -1949 OPENED 1N 1950 WITH 229 SEATS AND WAS EXPANDED TO 426 SEATS IN CA 1954. THE REASON I HEARD WHY THE CALLED IT THE MET BECAUSE ONE OF THE OWNER LIKE VERY MUCH THE METROPOLITAN OPERA IN NEW-YORK APPARENTELY WENT THERE LOT'S OF TIME. HIS NAME COULD BE MR.BERLIS OR BERLER OR MR.ISAACS.

ADMISSION WAS 35 CENTS I THINK IN THE FIFTIES. IT WAS CLOSED IN 1956 AND RE-OPENED UNDER THE NAME MEXICANA. I DON'T KNOW FOR HOW LONG. AFTER THAT ROY MARCHAND ELECTRICAL SUPPLY, A VIDEO RENTING AND ALSO THE LIONS CLUB WAS THERE I THINK. NOW WE HAVE A PIZZA THERE THE ALEX PIZZA.

THANKS MARTY

PS IF SOMEBODY COULD CORRECT ME OR ADD SOMETHING TO THIS STORY I WOULD APPRECIATE IT.

Thanks Normand

No comments: