Friday, March 21, 2008

Mothers

After 21 years of marriage, my wife wanted me to
> take another woman out to dinner and a movie. She
> said, 'I love you, but I know this other woman loves
> you and would love to spend some time with you.'
>
> The other woman that my wife wanted me to visit
> was my MOTHER, who has been a widow for 19 years,
> but the demands of my work and my three children had
> made it possible to visit her only occasionally.
>
> That night I called to invite her to go out for
> dinner and a movie.
>
> 'What's wrong, are you well,' she asked?
>
> My mother is the type of woman who suspects that a
> late night call or a surprise invitation is a sig n
> of bad news.
>
> 'I thought that it would be pleasant to spend some
> time with you,' I responded. 'Just the two of us.'
>
> She thought about it for a moment, and then said,
> 'I would like that very much.'
>
> That Friday after work, as I drove over to pick
> her up I was a bit nervous. When I arrived at her
> house, I noticed that she, too, seemed to be nervous
> about our date. She wa ited in the door with her coat
> on. She had curled her hair and was wearing the
> dress that she had worn to celebrate her last
> wedding anniversary.
>
> She smiled from a face that was as radiant as an
> angel's. 'I told my friends that I was going to go
> out with my son, and they were impressed,' she said,
> as she got into the car. 'They can't wait to hear
> about our meeting.'
>
> We went to a restaurant that, although not
> elegant, was very nice and cozy. My mother took my
> arm as if she were the First Lady. After we sat
> down, I had to read the menu. Her eyes could only
> read large print. Half way through the entries, I
> lifted my eyes and saw Mom sittin g there staring at
> me. A nostalgic smile was on her lips. 'It was I
> who used to have to read the menu when you were
> small,' she said. 'Then it's time that you relax and
> let me return the favor,' I responded.
>
> During the dinner, we had an agreeable
> conversation- -nothing extraordinary but catching up
> on recent events of each other's life. We talked so
> much that we miss ed the movie.
>
> As we arrived at her house later, she said, 'I'll
> go out with you again, but only if you let me invite
> you.' I agreed.
>
> 'How was your dinner date?' asked my wife when I
> got home. 'Very nice.
>
> Much more so than I could have imagine d,' I
> answered.
>
> A few days later, my mother died of a massive
> heart attack. It happened so suddenly that I didn't
> have a chance to do anything for her.
>
> Some time later, I received an envelope with a
> copy of a restaurant receipt from the same place
> mother and I had dined. An attached note said: 'I
> paid this bill in advance. I wasn't sure that I
> could be there; but nevertheless, I paid for t wo
> p l ates - one for you and the other for your wife.
> You will never know what that night meant for me. I
> love you, son.'
>
> At that moment, I understood the importance of
> saying in time: 'I LOVE YOU' and to give our loved
> ones the time that they deserve. Nothing in life is
> more important than your family. Give them the time
> they deserve, because these things cannot be put off
> till 'some other time.'
>
> Somebody said it takes about six weeks to get back
> to normal after you've had a baby.... somebody
> doesn't know that once you're a mother, 'normal' is
> history.
>
> Somebody said you learn how to be a mother by
> instinct .... somebody never took a three-year-old
> shopping.
>
> Somebody said being a mother is boring ....
> somebody never rode in a car driven by a teenager
> with a driver's permit. Somebody said if you're a
> 'good' mother, your child wil l 'turn out
> good'....somebody thinks a child comes with
> directions and a guarantee.
>
> Somebody said 'good' mothers never raise their
> voices .... somebody never came out the back door
> just in time to see her child hit a golf ball
> through the neighbor's kitchen window.
>
> Somebody said you don't need an education to be a
> mother.... somebody never helped a fourth grader
> with his math.
>
> Somebody said you can't love the second child as
> much as you love the first .... somebody doesn't
> have two children.
>
> Somebody said a mother can find all the answers to
> her child-rearing questions in the books....
> som ebody never had a child stuff beans up his nose
> or in his ears.
>
> Somebody said the hardest part of being a mother
> is labor and delivery....somebody never watched her
> 'baby' get on the bus for the first day of
> kindergarten .... or on a plane headed for military
> 'boot camp.'
>
> Somebody said a mother can do her job with her
> eyes closed and one hand tied behind her back
> ...somebody never organized seven giggling Brownies
> to sell cookies.
>
> Somebody said a mother can stop worrying after her
> child gets married....somebody doesn't know that
> marriage adds a new son o r daughter-i n-law to a
>
> Somebody said a mother's job is done when her last
> child leaves home....somebody never had
> grandchildren.
>
> Somebody said your mother knows you love her, so
> you don't need to tell her.... somebody isn't a
> mother.
>
> Pass this along to all the 'mothers' in your life
> and to everyone who ever had a mother. This isn't
> just about being a mother; it's about appreciating
> the people in your life while you have them....no
> matter who that person is*
Thanks Jim E.

No comments: