Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Passing of two GPKer's

While I was away I had my son Jeff keep the Gazettes so I could read them on my return. I was saddened to learn of the passing of two Parkers - John Hart - of Empire Ave, between Third and King St.; as well as Barbara Leeming (nee Hicks) of Regent St. who at the age of 90 helped me by writing her memories of growing up in the Park in the 1920s.

She was a close friend of my mothers and an excellent athlete, playing on the GPK Cardinals and running on a relay team with my mother at half time during a Montreal football game at McGill Stadium about1930. (Their team of 4 won).

If anyone hasn't yet read her memories in the History of Greenfield Park, you're really doing yourself a disservice, because even at that advanced age she had a gift for writing. When I received her hand written 32 page story five years ago I was stunned by her beautiful handwriting and her ability to express herself with clarity and humour.

I kept in contact with her regularly by phone at her home in Victoria BC. I will miss hearing her voice now that she has passed on. I regret never getting the chance to meet such an interesting Parker whose memories of the past were as clear as if they had occurred yesterday.

John Riley

Thanks John

No comments: