Thursday, November 06, 2008

Comments

Hi  Marty, a few comments re some of your recent postings.

(1)Jim and Les'  Fina. Back when it was the norm to finish at noon on Christmas Eve many of us clients of the business would get off the Chambly Transport bus and make our way to Jim and Les' for a pre-christmas barley sandwich. After one or six of the sandwiches several of us young gentlemen  would all head home for some dinner and then get dressed in jacket and tie , and a mickey of our favourite mood modifier and proceed to visit a number of homes around "The Park" to wish one and all a Merry Christmas.

 

We always travelled on foot ,observing the don't drink and Drive rule before it was popular. Although it really was our intention to share our  product with our hosts we would generally wake up Christmas morning at home with our personal supply still untouched. PS for Millie to pass on to Jim-- the highlight of the afternoon stop at Jim and Les' was a shot or two of Les' Metaxa Brandy-- which was real firewater for us young indians.

 

(2) I was also a client of Dr St. Jean and my story is as follows: When I was 14 yrs old I contracted Rheumatic Fever and was a resident of the Montreal Children's Hospital for about three months. Fortunately the disease which frequently attacked the heart did not get me but to make sure, I was obliged to take one sulfadiazine pill each day for five years after leaving  the hospital. The net result was a healthy heart but a bunch of decalcified teeth because of the pills.

I went to Dr. St. Jean and he told me he would have to pull all of my teeth but six  and fit me with the appropriate dentures. Well, I sat in the chair, was anaesthetized, and the good doctor did his work .

When I came out from under the gas I immediately put my tongue forward to feel the six teeth the Doc was supposed to save-- they were gone. I asked him why he had pulled the healthy teeth and he said that a partial plate would eventually wear down the good teeth that they were anchored to and then I would lose those two teeth and have to get another partial so he thought he would save me all that trouble  and expense by pulling all the teeth and fitting me with two full plates.

When I did get the plates a couple of weeks later the good Doc told me to keep the plates in at all times and to try eating some tough things such as apples as soon as possible to help the adjustment. That first night with the new teeth after a Warriors fastball game we repaired to our unofficial clubhouse( the Lapiniere Hotel or "The Lap" as it was more commonly known).

I had three quarts of false courage and began eating the free corn-on-the-cob that the hotel supplied as a loss leader.The teeth held up and I have not had a problem since that night (3) I hope the young football  player with the Mohawk hair cut in Normand's picture made as much money for getting that cut as I did( obviously inflation adjusted). Back in 1958 five of us young fellows were asked by the owners of the rides that were set up for the annual Legion Tombola if we were willing to help them to take down the rides for the princely sum of $1 per hour. That was a fair bit of change back then and so at app 5:00 am with $5.00 each in our jeans someone suggested that we get in Donnie Bremners '55 pontiac and head down to Plattsburgh for the day which we did.

As we were strolling downtown Plattsburgh we passed a barbershop which advertised Mohawk cuts for $.90. I had considered the idea earlier as I was a member of the Warriors fastball team and our team logo was an indian head with the Mohawk cut and five members of the team had bet me $1.00 each that I wouldn't do it.

The situation was ideal so I got the cut. That evening The Warriors were playing a game at home and as was our routine we rendezvoused at Robinson's Restaurant before going to the ball field. I had my ball cap on and when all of the bettors were in the Restaurant I took my hat off and passed it around asking them to put their wager in the cap-- net gain $4.10

 

Thanks John McC.

 

No comments: