THE 2009 GREENFIELD PARK REUNION
IF YOU REMEMBER SOME OR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING THINGS,
YOU SHOULD JOIN US AT
THE GREENFIELD PARK REUNION IN OTTAWA FROM 11 to 13 SEPTEMBER, 2009
TO MEET & REMINISCE WITH OLD FRIENDS.
CONTACT JOHN PENNEY FOR INFORMATION (email address in list at the left).
- Royal George School was a square building with steel outside fire escapes.
- There were no houses behind Royal George School.
- The streets in the Park flooded every spring because the ditches were filled with ice.
- Victoria Dairy delivered milk in horse drawn wagons/sleighs.
- Exams were delayed at Royal George School because of an ice storm.
- The town hall was in a wooden building on Churchill Blvd between Springfield & Fairfield.
- We got polio shots at a clinic at the town hall.
- The fire station was at the corner of Springfield & Churchill.
- You could buy a bag of candy for 10 cents at Kipp's or Smith's.
- Our telephone numbers started with Orchard 1.
- The town oiled the streets to keep the dust down.
- The town taxi company was called ARROW.
- A creek ran parallel to Churchill and crossed under Springfield.
- There were empty building lots on almost every major street in town.
- GPK teens had to attend Chambly County High in St Lambert.
- The town used a steam powered steel rod to clear ice from the culverts under all driveways
- The association that ran baseball & hockey for kids was the GPAA.
- A bottle of pop at Kipp's store was 7 cents.
- You listened to hit songs on your new transistor radio.
- Teachers at Royal George were Miss Hoyle, Mrs Wheatley, Mrs Stevens and Mr Cains.
- The Seeonee Cub Pack met weekly in the Royal George boy's basement.
- We went to movies on Friday night in the hall at the Greenfield Park United Church.
- The Pentecostal Church was in the basement and there was no building above it.
- You had to do grocery shopping in St Lambert because there was no major grocery store in the Park.
- Davis' had a farm on Miller St.
- The first addition to Royal George (including the gym) opened in early 1953.
- The first high school graduation from Royal George happened in 1960.
- The radio stations we listened to were CJAD, CFCF & CKGM.
- You got your first black & white TV and watched snowy images from Plattsburg.
- Our movie theatre was called the Met.
- Many telephone lines were “party lines” shared by more than one subscriber.
- Minstrel Shows were held yearly at Royal George.
- Mr Russell was the Principal at Royal George.
- Mr Kobuke's company built new bungalows on Vercheres, Chambly & Mary Streets.
- The post office was in the Hollingdrake's market.
- Bud was the town barber.
- Steinberg's opened the Miracle Mart on Tascherau Blvd.
Thanks John P.