Tuesday, April 14, 2009

1960 Ice Storm

Hi Marty

 

I remember all too well that ice storm. We had a family reunion party going on when the power went out and we scrambled looking for candles.

My mother cooked on a Coleman camping stove for the duration of the power outage and it was cold, no hot water and no heat. My friend Peggy Fraser lived over on Doris or Margaret where the power lines were underground and unaffected by the storm, so I hung out there during those cold days. Another place we spent time was Kipps store on Springfield, because there was a coal or wood furnace in the basement and an iron grill in the middle of the floor which, when you walked into the store was really warm, so we spent a lot of time in there during the day exchanging comic books.

We had a family group picture taken and every time I look at it I am reminded of that event.

 

Penny

Thanks Penny F.

No comments: