>Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM Danville Veterinary Clinic Danville, OH
>>>This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet.
>>>My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister
>>>of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday.
>>>He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1 AM on Wednesday
>>>but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7 AM.
>>>I had heard somewhere about raisins and grapes causing acute Renal failure
>>>but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject.
>>>We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime,
>>>I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard
>>>something about it, but... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison
>>>Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 & 1/2 times maintenance and
>>>watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.
>>>He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values continued
>>>to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic.
>>>He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his
>>>vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120,
>>>his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his
>>>blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220 ...
>>>He continued to vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize.
>>>This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin.
>>>Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk.
>>>Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic.
>>>Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's.
>>>Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.
>>>Onions, chocolate, cocoa, avocadoes and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too.
>>>Confirmation from Snopes about the above ....
Thanks Margaret W.