Sunday, October 11, 2009

Pets and Food

>Written by: Laurinda Morris, DVM Danville Veterinary Clinic Danville, OH

>>>

>>>This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet.

>>>My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix that ate half a canister

>>>of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday.

>>>He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1 AM on Wednesday

>>>but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7 AM.

>>>I had heard somewhere about raisins and grapes causing acute Renal failure

>>>but hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject.

>>>

>>>We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime,

>>>I called the ER service at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me - had heard

>>>something about it, but... Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison

>>>Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 & 1/2 times maintenance and

>>>watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

>>>

>>>He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values continued

>>>to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a diuretic.

>>>He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his

>>>vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120,

>>>his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his

>>>blood pressure, which had been staying around 150, skyrocketed to 220 ...

>>>He continued to vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize.

>>>

>>>This is a very sad case - great dog, great owners who had no idea raisins could be a toxin.

>>>Please alert everyone you know who has a dog of this very serious risk.

>>>

>>>Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or grapes could be toxic.

>>>Many people I know give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats including our ex-handler's.

>>>Any exposure should give rise to immediate concern.

>>>

>>>Onions, chocolate, cocoa, avocadoes and macadamia nuts can be fatal, too.

>>>

>>>Confirmation from Snopes about the above ....

>>> http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

Thanks Margaret W.

No comments: