Friday, January 15, 2010

EX G.PK. LEGION PRESIDENT AND MACKAYVILLE BOY. 63 YEARS NOW



HI MARTY,

HERE WE SEE GERRY CANTWELL EX G.PK.LEGION PRESIDENT AND EX MACKAYVILLE BOY NOW LIVING IN G.PK. WHEN HE WAS A BOY HE WAS NOT ALLOWED TO CROSS TASCHEREAU AND COME TO G.PK. BECAUSE IT WAS TOO DANGEROUS. HE DID CROSS ONE DAY AND HE GOT CAUGHT BECAUSE HIS FATHER USE TO GO AT THE G.PK. LEGION AND SAW HIM. POOR GERRY WAS HEAVILY PUNISHED FOR COMING TO G.PK. HE REMEMBERS PLAYING WITH ED BOUCHER AND HIS BROTHER GORDIE IN MACKAYVILLE.

WE SEE GERRY GREAT FAN OF CHICAGO WITH HIS BEAUTIFUL CHICAGO BLACK HAWKS COAT, PROBABLY HAS THE UNDERWEAR TO MATCH, ANYWAY, WE SEE THE EMPIRE PARK RINK ON A JUST BEAUTIFUL DAY AT 4 PM NOBODY ON IT. IN OUR DAYS IT WOULD OF BEEN FULL. WE SEE SOME GRAFFITIS ON THE BOARDS, I GUESS THE KIDS GO LATER AT NIGHT.

IT IS A SHAME OUR G.PK. KIDS DON'T PLAY OUTSIDE ANYMORE, IMAGNE IN 1937 - 1938 WINTER 111,000 RODE THAT NICE STEAM TRAIN UP NORTH TO GO SKIING AND TRAVEL.

THANKS MARTY

NORMAND SIMARD

PS. SORRY NO PS LOUISE JUST ORDERED ME TO GO AND PLAY OUTSIDE. MY LOUISE IS ALWAYS RIGHT.

Thanks Normand

4 comments:

bobby said...

hi my name is robert ,i lived in de gaul street 1957 mackaville do you know a family called brunnel i was 8 at the time ,sent to england after house fire family name turley . would apprecate ant info on mackayville map pictures etc . for sentmental reasons

Ronald Cairns said...

Hello Robert,
My name is Ron Cairns and I lived on Prince Street in Mackayville, and yes had friends in Greenfield Park. Also knew Grant and Gerry well back in the day. I went to school with Robert Turley at Mackayville Protestant School. One day he was there and the next couple of days the family was gone. I recall looking into the house a few days after the fire. I found this on line, Sorry do not recall Brunnel family. I recall Gerry being Legion President, and My buddy's parents were members, Omer and Lillian Soucy. John there son and I were and still are long time friends. Gerry I remember your dad well. Say hello to Grant for me.
We were in Army Cadets in Westmount together for a time. Cheers,
Ron
Turley info.
http://www.pier21.ca/wp-content/uploads/files/stories/immigrants/English_Immigrants_The_Turley_Family.pdf

Ronald Cairns said...

Hello Robert,
My name is Ron Cairns and I lived on Prince Street in Mackayville, and yes had friends in Greenfield Park. Also knew Grant and Gerry well back in the day. I went to school with Robert Turley at Mackayville Protestant School. One day he was there and the next couple of days the family was gone. I recall looking into the house a few days after the fire. I found this on line, Sorry do not recall Brunnel family. I recall Gerry being Legion President, and My buddy's parents were members, Omer and Lillian Soucy. John there son and I were and still are long time friends. Gerry I remember your dad well. Say hello to Grant for me.
We were in Army Cadets in Westmount together for a time. Cheers,
Ron
Turley info.
http://www.pier21.ca/wp-content/uploads/files/stories/immigrants/English_Immigrants_The_Turley_Family.pdf

Ronald Cairns said...

Ron back again,

Curious as to if any one recalls the Kirk brothers, they lived on Charles I think it was in Greenfield Park.
Richard and Robert, has sisters Pam, Judy, and Heather
Wow that was a long time ago, the use to live in MacKayville on Duke Street. Thanks every one.