Saturday, February 20, 2010

S/S Concordia







Hi Marty.................There was a news flash on television a short time ago telling of the sinking of the Nova Scotian owned S/S Concordia off the coast of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (This morning I believe) besides the captain and professional crew there were 48 Canadian high school and college students onboard learning the art of sailing!! .............The first tidbit of news is that the Brazilian coastguard made it out to the site in time to rescue all aboard - apparently extremely heavy winds forced the vessel to capsize!! ................Some of our blog buddies will remember that Ann and I visited the vessel`s home port of Lunenburg last July where I managed to get a pretty good photo of the vessel tied up at dockside. I`m attaching the photos that I submitted of our day spend in Lunenburg on our trip!

Later..............Win

Our next stop was Lunenburg, N.S. - I must have taken at least 40/50 photos in all but Marty would kill me if I sent them all in!! ...................Lunenburg is famous for, among other things, the building of the great sailing schooner the "BLUENOSE" which never lost a race to the competition in Canadian waters. She brought so much pride to the Canadian people back in the '20's and 30's that until this day she can be found on the back of the Canadian ten cent coin!! ........ There is a photo of a painting of the Bluenose, a great looking schooner in my opinion!!.

I just had to take a pic. of the golf course across the water to make Ralph B's day!! ...................... The Concordia is a vessel that trains youngsters the art of sailing ......................... To my surprise, as Ann and I were walking around with our trusty camera, low and behold, there is the Berlin Wall ........... Now, I can see the height and the thickness of the wall being a problem - but the width, it would seem to me, shouldn't pose much of a dilemma - couldn't those East Germans just walk around either side of it???

Also attached is a photo of part of the downtown, but the town itself is much larger that what I could capture with my small camera!! ...................I thought you might be interested in seeing the house that was build for Capt. Angus Walters - the skipper of the " Bluenose ".

Later..................Win

No comments: